Blog Written by: Dhrithi Bhat
Mumbai was engulfed in suffocating pollution for the second straight day. A heavy layer of smog enveloped the city in a haze that posed a serious risk to public health. Furthermore, Mumbai's Air Quality Index (AQI) dropped to an alarming 113, above even Delhi's AQI of 83!
Environmentalists and Mumbai residents are extremely concerned about this worrying development, which emphasizes the urgency of taking quick action to reduce air pollution nationwide.
What are the causes?
There are several other contributing factors to this abrupt increase in air pollution, and they are similar to the problems other large Indian cities are facing. The main causes of the deteriorating air quality include increased vehicle emissions, urbanization, rapid industry, and construction activity. Furthermore, adverse weather patterns, such as temperature inversions and low wind speeds, can trap pollutants near the ground, making the issue worse.
Air pollution has serious negative effects on population health and well-being in addition to the environment. Long-term exposure to excessive air pollution levels can cause a number of health concerns, such as heart disease, respiratory conditions like asthma and sinusitis, and even premature death! Not only is the smog an annoyance, but it's a public health emergency that needs to be addressed right away.
How to Stay Protected?
In the face of smog and deteriorating air quality, it's vital to take steps to protect yourself and your loved ones. Here's how you can stay safe:
- Limit Outdoor Activities: Reduce your outside activities, especially intense exercises, on days when the air quality index (AQI) is exceptionally bad, especially on smoggy days. Try to go outside during the hours when air pollution is at its lowest if you must.
- Use Air Purifiers: To keep the air inside cleaner, install air purifiers. These tools can drastically cut down on other pollutants including particulate matter.
- Wear Masks: Consider wearing N95 or N99 masks that filter out fine particulate matter when venturing outside. These masks provide some protection against inhaling harmful pollutants.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water helps your body flush out toxins and stay healthy.
- Use Public Transportation: Whenever possible, opt for public transportation or carpooling to reduce the number of vehicles on the road, which contributes to pollution.
- Limit Burning Activities: Avoid burning wood, incense, or candles indoors, as these can release harmful particulates into the air.
- Support Green Initiatives: Advocate for green policies in your community and reduce your carbon footprint by using energy-efficient appliances and reducing waste.
How to prevent it?
Preventing smog is a collective effort that involves individuals, communities, and governments. To avoid future smog crisis, the following measures are essential:
- Stricter Regulations: The government must enforce stricter regulations on industries and construction activities to reduce emissions and pollution.
- Promote Public Transportation: Encourage the use of public transportation and the adoption of electric vehicles to reduce vehicular emissions.
- Urban Planning: Prioritize green spaces and tree planting in urban planning to improve air quality and create healthier environments for citizens.
- Public Awareness and Education: Educate citizens about the consequences of air pollution and promote sustainable practices that reduce pollution.
BIBO's Detox Kit is a comprehensive solution for combatting the adverse effects of pollution and allergens. This kit includes a range of products designed to promote respiratory health and boost immunity.
- The Saline Nasal Spray infused with tulsi and xylitol offers natural relief and protection for nasal passages.
- Breathofy Syrup enhances the body's immune response.
- Breathe Blend, enriched with essential oils like eucalyptus, provides soothing aromatherapy benefits.
By addressing multiple facets of well-being, BIBO's Detox Kit equips individuals with the tools to safeguard against environmental challenges, fostering a healthier and more resilient lifestyle.
The smog that engulfed Mumbai is a stark reminder of the pressing need to address air pollution. It's a public health crisis that affects everyone, and taking precautions and advocating for cleaner practices is crucial for staying protected and preventing future smog occurrences.
It's time for everyone to play their part in ensuring cleaner air and a healthier future, and BIBO is here with a holistic solution for all your needs, at times like these.
Breathe well with BIBO!