Common respiratory conditions like pneumonia can range in severity from mild to severe and frequently need medical intervention.
For a complete guide on Pneumonia, read the following blog: https://bibo.health/blogs/respiratory-conditions/pneumonia-causes-symptoms-diagnosis-treatment-and-precautions
While modern medicine offers efficient therapies, the traditional Indian medical system also gives important insights into how to treat pneumonia without medication. This blog will discuss Ayurvedic herbs that are effective at treating pneumonia.
- Tulsi (Holy Basil): Tulsi, commonly known as Holy Basil, is highly regarded in Ayurveda because of its tremendous therapeutic benefits. Its potent anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral properties make it an excellent plant for treating pneumonia. Tulsi supports a stronger immune system, eases breathing issues, and reduces inflammation in the respiratory tract. To benefit from Tulsi, you can drink Tulsi tea or eat Tulsi leaves.
- Adhatoda Vasica (Vasaka): Adhatoda Vasica, also known as Vasaka or Malabar Nut, has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine to treat respiratory illnesses including pneumonia. As an expectorant, it aids in clearing mucus from the bronchial tubes and lungs. The antibacterial qualities of Vasaka also help in the fight against the pneumonia-causing infection at the root. Vasaka decoctions can be made, or you can take them as syrups or capsules.
- Ginger (Adrak): Ginger is a multipurpose herb valued for its ability to reduce inflammation and strengthen the immune system. It can help with the cough and congestion that come with pneumonia. Because of ginger's warming properties, phlegm is cleared, making breathing easier. You can drink ginger tea, include it in your meals, or even chew on tiny pieces of ginger and honey to relieve pain.
- Turmeric (Haldi): Curcumin, the main ingredient in turmeric, has potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can promote the healing process and lessen lung inflammation brought on by pneumonia. It may be useful to consume turmeric every day by blending it with warm milk or water. For a stronger dose, you can also get supplements with curcumin.
- Ashwagandha: The immune system is boosted and stress is decreased by the adaptogenic herb ashwagandha, which can be very useful when recovering from pneumonia. Additionally, it possesses anti-inflammatory qualities that help to reduce lung irritation. A quicker recovery can be facilitated by taking ashwagandha capsules or using ashwagandha powder in your diet.
- Licorice Root (Mulethi): Mulethi, also known as licorice root, has a calming impact on the respiratory system. It aids in easing pneumonia-related symptoms such cough, sore throat, and bronchial irritation. Additionally, licorice root has antibacterial qualities that can help battle the underlying ailment. For easy ingestion, you can make licorice tea or buy supplements containing the root.
- Pippali (Long Pepper): Long pepper, also known as pippali, is a strong Ayurvedic herb that is beneficial in treating respiratory issues. It facilitates mucus clearance, enhances lung performance, and has a warming effect that promotes pneumonia recovery. Pippali powder can be taken with honey or added to Ayurvedic respiratory formulas.
- Garlic (Lahsun): The antibacterial and antiviral effects of garlic are well known. It can ease pneumonia-related symptoms including coughing and chest congestion while also assisting in the fight against the infection that causes pneumonia. It can be healthy to consume raw garlic cloves or include garlic in your meals.
- Eucalyptus (Nilgiri): Commonly, steam inhalation with eucalyptus oil or leaves is used to treat respiratory issues. Eucalyptus steam inhalation is an effective supplementary therapy for the treatment of pneumonia since it helps to open up airways, lessen congestion, and alleviate breathing issues.
- Triphala: Triphala, a blend of the three fruits Amla, Haritaki, and Bibhitaki, is well known for its immune-stimulating and cleansing qualities. It enhances overall respiratory health and aids in digestion improvement and toxin removal. Pneumonia healing may be aided by using triphala powder with warm water or as capsules.
While Ayurvedic medicines can be a great help in managing pneumonia, it's important to keep in mind that this dangerous medical disease frequently necessitates mainstream medical care. Modern medicine should not be completely replaced by herbal remedies. Consult with a skilled Ayurvedic practitioner or healthcare professional to make sure these herbs are safe and suitable for your specific condition before including them in your pneumonia management plan. Your general well-being can be improved and holistic healing can be promoted by including Ayurveda into your recovery process.