With the global epidemic of the deadly Corona virus the people need a stronger immunity now more than ever. The immune system is the body’s natural defence against diseases and infections. But when the immune system is weak it fails at its job of protection and germs invades the body successfully making us you sick.
Hence in our today’s article we will be discussing ways to boost your immune system and thus stay healthy and safe.
1. Quit Smoking and limit Alcohol intake
Our lifestyle plays an important role when it comes to our immune system. An unhealthy lifestyle will naturally weaken the immune system.
- So quit smoking as it lowers the levels of the protective anti-oxidant Vitamin C in the blood.
- Cut down on alcohol as drinking too much can wear away the linings of the mouth and esophagus and thus make you more susceptible to bacterial or viral infection.
2. Healthy Diet
Diet plays an important role when it coms to the immune system. Our health is the reflection of what we put inside our body. Junk food as it makes the immune system more aggressive and the resulting inflammatory responses accelerates the development of vascular diseases or type-2 diabetes. A diet balanced in macronutrients and micronutrients enhances and protects your immune system.
Protein is essential for healing and formation of tissue. Foods rich in protein include lean meat, eggs, beans, unsalted nuts etc.
Vitamin C boosts the immune system by stimulating the formation of antibodies and thus protects the body from infection. Vitamin C is found in citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruit, kiwi, lemon etc, red bell pepper, papaya, strawberries, tomato juice etc.
Vitamin A protects the body against infection by helping in regulating the immune system and thus keeping skin and tissues in the mouth, stomach, intestines and respiratory system healthy. Foods rich in Vitamin A includes sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, spinach, red bell peppers, apricots, eggs etc.
Vitamin E is an antioxidant which neutralizes free radical actions and thus improves the immune function. Food rich in Vitamin E include vegetable oil such as safflower and sunflower oil, almonds, hazelnuts, peanut butter etc.
Zinc helps in proper functioning of the immune system work properly and helps in healing wounds. Lean meat, poultry, seafood, milk, whole grain products, beans, nuts etc. Are sources of zinc.
3. Regular and sufficient sleep
You may already know this that Sleep thus play a very important when it comes to proper functioning of the body and also healing it internally. Yet our lifestyle limits our healthy doze of sleep and as a result our immune system suffers.
- Lack of sufficient sleep makes the body produce fewer cytokines, a type of protein that targets infection and inflammation and hence effectively creating an immune response.
- Cytokines are both produced and released during sleep.
- Sleep loss even makes the vaccines less effective by reducing your body’s ability to respond.
4. Regular Exercise
We all know how beneficial exercise is for our health yet most of us simply do not inculcate this healthy habit in our lives. Regular exercise can boosts the immune system by enhancing its ability to create antibodies and white blood cells that helps the body fight infection and diseases.
5. Manage Stress
- Stressing triggers chemical reactions and floods the body with cortisol that, among other things, decreases white blood cells and NK cells (special cells that kill cancer), increases tumor development and growth, and increases the rate of infection and tissue damage.
- Studies have shown that Chronic stress can have a negative impact on immunity and increase your vulnerability to illness.
- Our brain sends defense signals to the endocrine system, which then releases an the hormones that sets our defence system in action. But communication between the brain and the immune system is disrupted by physical or emotional stress.
- Thus manage stress effectively and try incorporate meditation, relaxing yoga , calming breathing techniques into your daily routine.
Additional note: At Bibo we understand that your busy schedule seldom permits you time for some quality health care and so we made it easier for you with our Bibo Shots Hot Kadha Mix. Kadha needs no introduction as it has been a popular remedy in the Indian households for common cold, fever, flu etc for ages. A recipe inspired from our Grandmothers’ home remedies, our kadha is aimed as an immunity boosting elixir with the goodness of therapeutic herbs like tulsi, ginger, vasa (malabar nut) etc.